The UMBC Astrophysics Group is located in the Physics Department on the main campus. The UMBC Observatory is located on the roof, and Observatory “Open Houses” are held on the top floor of this same building.
Take Commons Drive off Hilltop Circle. During the day (when the university is in session), visitor parking is avaliable in the Commons Drive Parking Garage, lower level in the metered spots. Out of hours, you park free at any non-marked curb-side spot. Temporary parking passes are also available from Parking Services in the Physical Plant Shops Building (410-455-2551). Please see the UMBC Visitor’s Guide for more information.
Directions to the Telescope Open House
- Enter the Main Entrance to the Physics Building, which is located in the corner of the building closest to the Library (furthest from Commons Drive)
- Take either of the elevators up to the 4th floor.
- Turn right & right again as you exit the elevator, and enter Room 401
- Assuming a presentation is not underway, and you are not otherwise instructed, proceed through the door to the right of the whiteboards in Room 401.
- Assuming you hear people above you, and you are not otherwise instructed, proceed up the pair of steep metal ladders into the telescope dome.
Unfortunately there is no other access route available. Small children, people with mobility problems, and people afraid of heights may not wish to visit the dome.